Monday, February 13, 2012

Squeeze My Lemon ~ February 15 Teaser

 This week we have something unique, a classic lemon that needs new love. Written by the fabulous Mrs. Cope, enjoy the teaser:
"Well, Bella, you're probably wondering why someone as handsome and muscular as myself is still single and on a blind date. It's a long, sad story."
Bella's teeth bit into the side of cheek as she tried to focus on what he was saying. She could feel her attention pulling her through the booth, back to the table behind her where the beautiful man still sat. She smiled weakly at her date.
"I was married once, you should know that right up front. I was an exceptional husband, tried to give her everything. But what I didn't know is that she planned to take everything," Jacob went on, his voice loud and grating. "I won't say bad things about her, but I will say this: she gives female dogs a bad name, if you know what I mean."
"How long were you – "
"I don't hold it against women, they can't help it," he went on. Bella slumped in her seat. It was clear this was Mr. All-About-Me, another night wasted. She tried to shrink into the vinyl of the booth as heads turned, giving dirty looks to the incredibly loud annoyance. "Women have their times of the month, I know that, but she, well, let's just say she had it in reverse; she was only pleasant one or two days a month. Even my mother, saint that she is, didn't like her. Mama said the day my ex-monster came to live with us, 'That girl is no good.'"
"And no one's ever going to be good enough for him," a musical voice said from behind her. She shot bolt upright in astonishment. She knew that voice; it was the beautiful man who was directly behind her. Her face was stunned into a mask of surprise, her eyes wide and the corners of her mouth turning up slightly. "Not even someone was as lovely and vivacious as you."
Bella blinked and tried to swallow the excitement that stole her breath. "Well, Mama was right. She always is. When I was a little boy, she said 'Jacob,' she said, 'You're going to go far.' She was right about that, too. I mean, look at me! I'm a self-made man. I started at the bottom, washing cars at Victory Volkswagen, and now I'm a consultant for auto repairs. If all goes as scheduled, I'll be promoted next month to head consultant, and then we'll see what's what. Yeah, I'm a catch, but I'm willing to take a chance tonight with you."
"Chance my ass. He's lucky to even see you, if he's seeing you at all," the voice cooed. "If I were at your table, I'd know I was the luckiest man in the world. We wouldn't waste time with words; they wouldn't be necessary. You'd see the light in my eyes."

No comments:

Post a Comment